Fatherhood is Like a Box of Chocolates
The Top 10 Things no one tells you about Fatherhood:
1. Spend as much time as you can with your kids.
- They grow up so fast.
2. All your kids will be different and there is no one size fits all method to deal with the same problem.
- Just when you think you got this… you will need to re-adapt
3. Teach your kids to colour outside the lines
- That is where the magic happens.
4. Sleep? Forget about it.
- Coffee will become less about enjoyment and more about necessity in order to function through the day.
5. You will never have access to your phone again.
- No like seriously …never
6. Make your kids go to the toilet
Before you go out anywhere and anytime you leave a place and also just before they go to bed - even if they swear they don’t need to go ! You’re just going to have to trust me with this one.
- Caveat: Dad’s there will inevitably come a time when you are with the kid/s and you are alone and your only option will be to take them them to the men’s public toilet. Trust your own judgement on this one and weigh up if a little pee on the car seat on the way home may actually be the more hygienic option.
7. Getting out of the house will be one of your biggest challenges …ever!
8. You will squeeze your whole adult life between the time your kid/s go to sleep and the time you go to bed.
9. You will be asked to dress up like a princess.
- No, it’s not an option. This is going to happen.
10. Keep Calm and Carry on
- Everything is figureoutable and life’s too short to get triggered. Although this is easier said than done.
“Fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man,” Frank Pittman.
Any dad’s (and mum’s) out there feel free to add to the list 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇